Welcome to Tom Rich's Page
Dr. Thomas P. Rich
Professor of Mechanical Engineering
Lewisburg, PA 17837
Phone: (570) 577-3715
Fax: (570) 577-1822
PHD: 1969 Lehigh University
MS: 1967 Lehigh University
BS: 1965 Carnegie-Mellon University
- Innovative Multimedia Courseware Development
- History of Engineering and Technology
- Analytical/Numerical Methods in Solid Mechanics
(Complex Variables, Collocation, Finite Elements)
- Fracture Mechanics and Structural Life Prediction
- Computer-Aided Design/Computer-Aided Testing
- Introduction to Engineering
- Basic Statics and Dynamics
- Computer-Aided Design
- Advanced Strength of Materials
- Elasticity and Plasticity
- Fracture Mechanics
- History of Engineering and Technology (New Interest)
- Case Histories Involving Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics, American Society for Testing and Materials Special Technical Publication 918, 1986, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, 427 pages, (edited with C.M. Hudson).
- "Analysis of Two Metal-Forming Die Failures," Case Histories Involving Fatigue and Fracture Mechanics, ASTM Special Technical Publication 918, 1986, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, pp. 311-335, (with J.G. Orbison).
- "Integrating Computers into an Undergraduate Engineering Curriculum," Proceedings of the 1988 ASME Pressure Vessel and Piping Conference, June 19-23, 1988, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, New York, New York, 10 pages.
- "Stress Intensity Factors for Cracks Emanating from Pressurized Semi-Circular Cylindrical Cavities," Engineering Fracture Mechanics, Vol. 44, No.3, 1993, pp. 383-402, (with B.Wu).
- "Bucknell's Electronic Classroom ... A Platform for Innovation in Engineering Teaching and Learning," Proceedings of the World Conference on Engineering Education, Vol.4, 15-20 October 1995, Minneapolis-Saint Paul, Minnesota, pp. 34-39, (with M.E. Hanyak, B.S. Hoyt, and W.J. Snyder).
- "The Effect of Hot Isostatic Pressing on Crack Initiation, Fatigue, and Mechanical Properties of Two Cast Aluminum Alloys," Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance, American Society of Metals International, Vol. 8, No. 3, June 1999, ((with J.G. Orbison)., R.S. Duncan, P.G. Olivero and R.H. Peterec.)
- "Learning with 18th Century Engineers," Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education," 2001 Annual Conference and Exposition, June 24-27, 2001, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 10 pages.
- " Design as a Liberal Art," Proceedings of the American Society for Engineering Education," 2001 Annual Conference and Exposition, June 24-27, 2001, Albuquerque, New Mexico, 8 pages (with J.W. Baish.)
- "Building Pennsylvania … A Technological History of the Commonwealth," Part 1, Electronic Book, draft manuscript completed, under review for publication, December 2000, 765 pages.
1950 Studebaker and 1978 VW Camper Van
Pittsburgh Sports (Pirates, Penguins and Steelers)
- Family Activities with wife (Mary Lou) and "kids" (Wes, Joss, Wendy and Pete).
- Sports Card and Historical Engineering Post Card Collecting